Bescot Crescent, dating from the same period, contains much light industry. 206) Many immigrants have settled in the old part of Palfrey.
192) and one which followed the lower part of the present Alexandra Road and part of the present Weston Street to the West Bromwich road in the Redhouse Farm area. 193) Milton Street is part of an early way running from Caldmore (along Watery Lane) and continuing to Bescot (along Wallows Lane). 194) The northern end of Milton Street ran by the pool of the early-17th-century New Mills and was formerly called Stank Lane. 195) There was evidently ironworking near Palfrey Green in the later Middle Ages. 196) In 1770 an awl-blade maker and a spurmaker were recorded at Whitehall between Palfrey and Caldmore. 197) This suggests the existence by then of the house called White Hall which still stood in 1843 at what is now the junction of Dale Street and Alexandra Road. The land was divided into 145 lots and distributed among 78 people. Whitehall Road, cut in the later 1860s, was built up by the mid 1870s, and Tennyson Street (now the east end of Dale Street), Alexandra Street (the north end of Alexandra Road), and Villiers Street existed by then. to the south of Dale Street, the two ends of which were presumably linked about that time; the park was extended to its present 16 a. Earl Street and Countess Street were laid out in the early 1890s and building-leases granted in 1893, 1894, and 1899. 204) The streets to the south date from about the same time, and much of the building in Lord Street is of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. 205) Building spread southwards to the borough boundary between the World Wars, with both council and privately built estates. 366) In the later 1930s a council estate was built at the south end of Goscote Lane, and a private estate had been built in Dartmouth Avenue by 1938. 367) The first council housing in Walsall after the Second World War was built at Coal Pool in the later 1940s, and more has been built there since. 368) In 1974 there was still some open ground along the canal north of Harden Road. 373) there are also some privately built houses erected between the World Wars. south of Leamore Lane in order to replace 180 slum properties with a multi-storey estate of 280 dwellings. 383) consisted by the 1880s mainly of derelict ground covered with old mine shafts; the Hatherton Brickworks, the Hatherton Furnaces, and the Walsall Glue Works had been built along the Wyrley and Essington Canal. 384) That stretch of the canal remains industrialized, (fn.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. The following survey begins with the area covered by the pre-1835 borough and then, starting with its northeasterly expansion into the foreign, works clock-wise area by area round the central district. Quentin Canal in 1918, an operation in which Walsall men took part. Another, which includes several multi-storey blocks of flats, was laid out in the cleared Oxford Street area in the later 1960s. 245) Rebuilding in the Wolverhampton Road area was still in progress in 1974. There were also several cottages in the stretch of Bloxwich Lane north of the area. 281) Littleton Street West dates from about that time. 282) Lord Hatherton granted leases in Stafford Street in the later 1840s and early 1850s, and in 1855 it was stated that the Stafford Street area had grown remarkably in the previous five years. 283) In the Town end Bank part of Green Lane Lord Hatherton granted several building leases between 18. 284) Houses and commercial property still standing on the north side of Wolverhampton Street in 1974 probably date from the earlier 19th century. Northcote Street on the west side existed by the beginning of the 20th century and Gladstone Street linking it with Hospital Street by 1913. 286) The western end of the town was described in 1867 as one 'of smoke and lime-kilns, gasworks, and Irish hordes', and in 1886 St. Marsh Street, consisting largely of commercial buildings, was laid out, and some of the properties remaining in 1974 are early examples of the use of moulded-brick ornament in Walsall.
Next the growth of Bloxwich is traced, and finally there is a clock-wise survey of each area round Bloxwich. Regent Street was renamed Caledon Street after the ship in which J. The streets of privately built houses on either side of Bescot Road date from the years between the two World Wars; those on the west were laid out over part of the grounds of Bescot Hall after its demolition in 1929-30. 246) The 28-acre Pleck Park covers more of the grounds; the first portion was opened as a war-memorial playingfield in 1926, and the corporation bought more land in 1938. 247) The M6 motorway was opened through the west of the area as far as Bescot in 1968. 248) Birchills occurs as an area of wood and waste in the earlier 14th century. Metal-working was being carried on in the area by 1767. 277) The Walsall Canal, opened in 1799, ended at a wharf in Marsh Lane to the south-west of Townend Bank. 278) By the early 19th century buildings had appeared along the southern end of what was by then called Stafford Street, and there were also some at the western end of Blue Lane. 279) By the 1830s Wisemore to the east of Townend Bank was densely built up, and Blue Lane and Portland Street were becoming so. 280) In one of them was a school dating from 1840, and in Stafford Street a Wesleyan chapel was opened in 1840 and St. Peter's parish was said to be the poorest in Walsall. 287) Improvements were carried out at Townend Bank in the 1870s and earlier 1880s by Lord Hatherton and by the corporation. The south-eastern end of Shaw Street was also built as part of the improvements; it was continued northwestward to Blue Lane West along the line of an existing footpath in the early 20th century. 293) Proffitt Street, part of an old road, was known as Sandwell Street in the earlier 19th century; (fn.
Palfrey Green occurs in 1386 as demesne pasture and lay at the southern end of what is now Lord Street. 191) Other early lanes included one mentioned in 1587 running from Palfrey Green to Friar Park smithy in West Bromwich (fn. 198) Palfrey Farm in the area between Dale and King Streets existed by the early 19th century. 199) Development began when the Walsall Freehold Land Society acquired a 22-acre estate at Palfrey in 1852. 200) This was the beginning of Cobden Street and its side streets, Queen Street (renamed Queen Mary Street in the later 1920s), King Street, and the west end of Dale Street, all of which contained houses by 1861. Several building-leases were granted in Stank Lane and Milton Street between 18. 370) There were 120 recipients of Mollesley's Dole in 1619 and 166 in 1652, figures which probably include Blakenall also; the combined recipients in Harden, Blakenall, and Coal Pool in 1661 numbered 171. 371) Coal was mined at Harden by the earlier 1850s, and mining continued in the vicinity until 1905. 372) The area now consists mainly of council estates, dating from the 1930s and the later 1940s; (fn. 382) The area to the west and north-west (including part of Bentley transferred to Walsall in 1931) (fn.
Before the later 19th century, however, there was little settlement in the area. 203) From the mid 1880s Lord Bradford was developing the area to the north of New Mills between Milton Street and Wednesbury Road.